Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's the latest?

Caleb and I had a careful discussion when an opportunity came up. Bottom line: He has made the choice to attend a "literacy lab" program after school for 6 weeks. It is just an extra 25 minutes, so he will get out at noon. It has the purpose to expose him more to reading, phonics, sight words, word blends etc. It will probably have a different approach that I would use, and that is a good thing. No reminder needed that I did not go to college for elementary education (or patience training for that matter.) I am hopeful that he will make another leap in his abilities, provide a chance for focus. Right now he will just see the first letter or first number in the addition problem and guess. Guessing isn't knowing... and guessing isn't actually looking. I'm hoping he will improve.

Both the boys are in Tennis on Tuesdays. They love it. They also get a chance to swim and visit with Grammy and Grandpa, and GG Dahl too. And the come home tired.

Awana tomorrow night. I help. Again.

No big plans for the rest of the week. Might catch a day at the park if I can bundle up warm enough... we'll see.

More as it comes.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Hey Krystal! Tessa went though the same thing with the guessing game. Oh, wait, did I say "went"? I mean she still does it. :-) When we are reading I have to say "look at the word - LOOK" a thousand times, and repeat "sound it out" an equal number of times. I have found that she CAN sound out words, but that her natural inclination is the guessing game. In other words? Sounds perfectly normal to me. Another thing...I can not believe how one day some reading task seems impossible, and the next day Tessa does it like she's been doing it for years. A month ago all she would read were the same Biscuit books over and over (do you have those? great early readers - we have extras so let me know) and suddenly she's reading A CHAPTER BOOK! I have no idea how the transition happened - I sure didn't see it coming. Caleb will do the same thing, and literacy lab will help. :-) Anyway....can't wait to see you on Sunday!
xoxo