Sunday, November 19, 2006

Hello to all.

Life is still busy. But here are the things that we are up to and the funny things taking place.

Yesterday, I actually had to say "Josh don't pick your brother's nose". Followed shortly by, "Caleb if you turned around he wouldn't be able to reach your nose." All of this was while we were at a craft bazaar in Monroe, and other than this incident and a couple other minor things, the kids were really well behaved. A few other people even commented about that.

This last week, we went to playgroup and Monday and Wednesday. Caleb was very excited about seeing his friend Donovyn. It's been a while since Donovyn got his adenoids removed. The boys played long, hard and nicely. It's fun to see Joshy trying to be a big boy. He follows them back and forth from one end of the gym to the other as best as he can.

Caleb is either very kind, gentle, and considerate to his brother or the rough, aggressive bully. I've seen both daily for quite some time. Although, the cutest thing happened. Caleb told me he was "scared" and I asked him about what. Suddenly he said he wasn't scared anymore. I mentioned that that was fast. He said that he had a button to turn it off, to which I said "wow, Jesus must have given you that button". He said "Yeah, He gives me lots of buttons. I share Jockey, 1 button... not now later. I take care Jockey." I thought that that was sweet. Caleb didn't believe me that one day they would both be big enough that Jockey would try to take care of him. He insisted that he was bigger than Jockey.

We took Caleb and Josh to Gymnastics classes. For Caleb, Grammy and I were shocked that Caleb's participation was bust. He pulled some kind of shy, "i need you to hold my hand/come with me mommy" behaviour... so we gave up on trying to make him go with his class.
JOSH, however, was a joy to take to class. He really enjoyed it. He had just woken up, so it took a couple of minutes for him to get orientated, and to find something to catch his interest. The minute he found something he liked, he started smiling and giggling. He liked to be bounced on the trampoline, although he didn't want the trampoline to bounce under him. He didn't know what to do with the foam block pit or the climbing wall. He did love the inclined mats which mommy helped him somersault down once he climbed up them. Joshy is a HUGE climber. He will climb anything, especially if it will get him closer to an object he wants to hold/put in his mouth. (Yes, Josh is still a really mouthy kid.) Josh climbed up a wooden play structure and the instructor came over and said that the way he manuevered the top was something some 5 year olds have problems with! He was doing fine, but then the MUSIC came on and the absolute JOY came out in Jockey. He started swinging his arms, raising his hands, and nodding his head to the beat and skip/walking. He is so funny to watch as he enjoys music. All kids have an interest and respond to music, but I'm having a great time being entertained by my little guy!

Thursday and Friday were days where they got to spend a bit more time with Daddy. They went to the dog park on one of those days and a neighborhood walk on the other. (Mommy tried and experimental, one time only job on Thursday, and a Dr. appointment on Friday.)

Caleb is in love with "Blue's Clues" Aka "Jockey's show". I thought it would dissuade him from wanting to watch it if I told him it was a show for Jockey's age. NOPE... with a big N! He will watch that ALL the time if we let him. So instead I've tried to focus and get him to watch "Leap Frog's LETTER FACTORY". And it has worked, I'm still having to watch Blue's Clues, but Caleb is now recognizing letters in the alphabet! Practice practice and more practice and we will get it down. We are thinking that the next phase is soon, the "Leap Frog WORDS FACTORY". He already likes the word CAT, because it is on his Cat in the Hat book. He is really excited when we exclaim how proud we are that he is reading, a real source of pride for him. But I've seen this week that he likes kudos and recognition, but he doesn't like to be in the spotlight for it. It's funny because that would seem like opposites, kudos without spotlight, and especially since every time we try to get Josh to do something Caleb has to cut in and try to steal the show. But I think that the latter is a sibling rivalry and the former is the actual personality trait. And of course, he is different with Mom and Dad than he is with others.

Well, winter is here and the plastic "play cube" is now in my living room. I figured that Joshy is going to climb whether it is a good thing to climb or not, so I'd better get a good thing inside to climb. The weather is so icky lately that it is unpleasant to send the kids out in the cold and rain to play on wet toys. So I brought a toy inside. I didn't get it even fully set down on the floor in the living room before Joshy had begun to climb up onto it. So I think that is proof that I did a good thing.

Joshy continues to talk... if you listen closely. He isn't always bell clear. But he says I did it, where mom, and other advanced things. I wish he would say please and understand what I say when I say wait. He whines because he has no patience and is easily frustrated. But he tries hard and is determined.
Today, he whined that I wouldn't let him play with Tigger's boy parts. I know, I'm awful, I don't let him do anything fun.

If I haven't mentioned it before, I'm so glad that Caleb is potty trained. I do have to remember that fact when I have to stop every 45 minutes to go to the restroom (and not for my own purposes!) I have determined that I will have Jockey trained earlier, I will NOT have 2 1/2 more years of diapers.!!! In the meantime, Joshy thinks toilet paper is the most fun toy and he would play with the plunger if I'd not put it out of reach. If I only listed the items that my kids have liked and fixated on (without explanation), you would think that we never bought our kids real toys. Caleb: broken fleecy dog toy/bone, swiffer, tape measure. Josh: new toilet bowl brush, swiffer.

Caleb's new phrases (that I'm sure he picked up from the adults in his life.)
"I mean it!" He also asks "Mommy, mean it, do you mean it mommy?" (I'm betting his one came from me)
"hmm, let me think, no" (thanks daddy)
"I'm thinking no." (thanks daddy) Especially funny (although also mildly cross eyed frustrating) when he says this to "Bedtime?" or "Brush your teeth?" "Get dressed?" I know, either stop asking, or ask "open" questions that don't require yes or no answers, I've read the books. I wonder if the authors actually have had children for some of things that they suggest.

Last story for now. Caleb and I drove to the store for our admittedly guilty pleasure, Slurpees. I drove up and got out and peeked in the window to see if the machine was "working" (not re frosting or out). I came back to the car and got in and was getting out the money and Joshy. Caleb asked if it was working and I said yes, he responds with "well, what are we waiting for!?" in an excited happy tone and starts struggling with his buckles in an uncontrollable anticitpation. I had to laugh. "What are we waiting for?!" indeed.

Good night. (at 6 it sure feels like 9!)

No comments: