Monday, November 06, 2006

Well, here we are together again. Well, not actually together, but it feels like it when you're reading and while I'm writing.

It's been too long again between posts, I apologize.

So here is what's been going on in the meantime.

Joshy is a climbing wonder. He has learned the tricks from Caleb and is attempting to climb up onto everything, and often with success... or whining when unsuccessful. I'm not sure which I like better, quiet success and high elevations, or noisy failure at the safe ground level. He is talking up a storm, although you have to listen carefully because it isn't all bell clear. But he asks questions like "wha doon?" (what are you doing?) and he answers most questions with a shake or nod of the head. He says "gahh iii" (got it). Puh is please. Several others. He is remarkable in his talking and every shocking in his understanding. Joshy is interested in everything, he is a watcher and a thinker; he is successful with most of the things that he tries, which makes me think that he has watched and waited until he can do things... which means he has understood for a long time. Amazing. The downside is that he is a big whiner for just about everything: Caleb wants privacy, Joshy whines because he wants to be in the bathroom too. He wants juice and I have to refill the cup first, he whines. He can't make a truck stay on the table when he pushes it, he whines.... The littlest things rock his world. I'm weary of it. But I should realize that it means he is smart and knows/understands what he wants and is eventually going to be able to communicate it clearly.
Joshy is mercifully gone back to sleeping through the night, I pray sincerely that this will continue. I might be able to glimpse what a life of normal sleep patterns looks like for the first time in a little over 3 years. Thank you Joshy for going back to sleeping through the night. However, he might be trying to give up his morning nap... We'll see.

Caleb is getting a little cooped up in the bad weather. This week instead of him staying with Grammy and Papa Dahl... Joshy did. That means that Caleb and Mommy got to go to Chuck E. Cheese and play. He really liked it, and for the first time he showed that he remembered from one visit to the next. Unfortunately, the last thing he remembered was a spider squashing game in California's Chuck E. Cheese and they don't have that in Bellevue. But he adjusted fast to the other games. He had a good time. Then it was off to the pool for a swim with Mommy and Daddy. He likes to play in the water, as long as he is on the stairs or in the hot tub. Beyond that we really need to work on his fear of the water. I think it might take consistent visits to the pool with just Caleb where we can work on new things, or the same old things over and over to build confidence. I look forward to the day that he will have fun and joy in the pool without reservation.
Caleb is in a "WHY" phase, heaven help me. It is why about everything. Why are we turning left (to go to the bank), why are we going to the bank (to put a check in), why do we need to put money in the acct (to pay bills), why do we have to do that.... etc. It's endless. Why does he need to put his socks on, why does he need to put his shoes on, why are we leaving, why are we going there, why does Grammy and Papa Dahl want to see him, WHY WHY WHY. I've tried to explain things, he asks why again... to the same question! I've tried saying because I'm in charge... why. I've tried to say I don't know... WHY! This is the phase that I knew the most about prior to having kids, and the phase I was least looking forward to... and now I know WHY.

So, what have we been keeping busy with...

Two weekends ago, we camped in Toppenish with Grammy, Papa and GG Dahl, and Papa Bill and Grandma Judy. It was a nice trip, good visiting, and there were bike rides and times in the pool. The most eventful item was, however, on the Sunday when we tried to get home. That's right, TRIED. Thanks to the road updates from Papa Bill (and the 1610AM) it was decided that the snowy and treacherous road conditions weren't worth the risk and we pulled off to camp in Lake Easton State Park for the night... about 10 minutes after unhooking the truck, the 1610Am was updated that the pass was completely closed due to dangerous road conditions, multiple accidents and deicing equipment to work. It's actually an interesting story. We got several calls from Papa Bill and listened to the radio a bunch, but home was sounding pretty good. So good that it was hard to make a decision. So I prayed and said, "Lord, I just don't know what to do. I know what I want to do, but I'm not sure what to do. So I'm going to ask Caleb and whatever he says that is what we are going to do, so please give him the right answer". So I turned and asked Caleb "Do you want to go home (I held up one hand) or camp one more night (and held up the other hand)?" He looked at me, paused, I repeated the question, and then with absolute certainity, he said Camp One more Night. So we did. The second miracle of the night was after dinner in Cle Elum, we were stuck on the shoulder of the road between semi's and the guard rail with two, luckily, sleeping kids, in a HUGE back up with the road closed and everyone with their engine and lights off. (I thought the next ramp off was just a mile up and no one would care if we just drove up and ducked off... some person was parked too far to the right to allow us passage.) So with no sign of movement, I told the Lord that we needed a miracle; with no word of lie, not 10-15 minutes later we heard the updated report that the pass was open and then we saw movement. In a back up and pass closed for 4.5 hours, we were only sitting for 40 mintues! Blessing, I think so!

Well, I'd like to go on. But my hands are tired, and the rest of me isn't that much farther behind. For those who pray and know Jesus, please pray for my Grandma Severson (Norma). She's not doing so good, and it's nearing her time. Of course, I want that to be with Jesus, and I want a pain-free, peaceful, not overly drawn out experience... and of course, remember all of those who know and love her in your prayers too. It effects everyone who knows and loves her. THANKS.

No comments: