Saturday, May 30, 2009

So we went camping for Memorial Day weekend. The weather was beautiful, the site had nice privacy and raccoon pawprints (just the prints, no actual raccoon sightings), the campground had a GREAT grassy field to play in with all the fellow campers, a loop to ride bikes on that was in full sight the whole time for the boys... (Jockey is a bit young and I pulled a lawn chair to the front of the site, Caleb on the other hand was old enough/coordinated enough that I had confidence in him; it felt like ringing in a new era of trust and activity levels and a bit nostalgic from when I was camping as a kid riding my bike everywhere fast and furious. A small heart smile occurred when I was watching him, and watching him make friends and join a pack.) We did one of our FAVORITE things... campfire and peel-n-eat shrimp! Simple perfection. The crab feed on Friday night was good, and the boys were still free! We got our value's worth, Caleb really likes King Crab. I was impressed with the varieties available; I tried 3 new types. And I discovered, I really do have a beer-budget taste for things (except for cheese), Good for Mike, because I did NOT like the lobster. Plain crab is way better! Of course, crab is a luxury too.
The City of Anacortes had put in a new and PHENOMINAL new park in town and the boys loved it! We went twice and still they wanted to go more. We went swimming at the pool. We drove to Washington Park and Jockey spotted our one and only live deer sighting.

That's the good stuff. Oh, and Caleb had a good time at the Zoo, and Jockey went to his last school days this week, one of which was at the park with impromptu swimming (jockey worn undies but 4 others turned it into a nudist beach) and I got burn crispy red ...even with sunblock.


As for the Bad stuff.... Mike came down sick Wednesday. So he did not go on Caleb's field trip. And now, BOTH boys came down with the stomach bug Friday night! BOTH, projectile you know, loose the other stuff, you know. Jockey is quite emotional about his not feeling well. He is really rather disturbed by the whole experience. Not just regretful or sad, but near fearful. Caleb started getting sick at 10PM, we got him and the house cleaned up and calmed down. I put them both to bed in their rooms. Then Jockey came to be 3 times saying he was afraid of the bad stuff that came out of brother. I thought he didn't like the smell, the chemicals used to clean it up, afraid to get the stuff on his feet etc. NO, he was feeling it come on him too. So I decided to pull something else from childhood and offer to make a bed for him in the bathroom to sleep. He seemed very confused until I said I did this when I was a little kid. So ok. We make up his bed, during which time, Caleb sprints into the bathroom for his own problems. I offer to make him up a bed too. So Jockey is on the floor on a camping pad, Caleb's on an exercise mat in the bathtub. Things are set, right... No, 30 minutes later **sounds**, and I have to investigate. Jockey has made a HUGE mess that set me to wretching. So at 12:30-1AM, I'm cleaning all parts of the bathroom (except the mirror and sick) and Jockey's bedding/pad. I get done, Jockey is crying about why this is happening to him. I offer to lay down with him. So now it's Caleb in the tub, Jockey on the floor in front of the toilet, and Me laying on a couple pillows half in the bathroom and half out to sleep for the night. Every 30 minutes one of them got up, until about 4ish AM! 6:30, Jockey had moved to on top of my blankets, and I was woken up to Mommy, I didn't make it... on top of my covers, not vomit people! OK, so clean up on aisle 6. Good morning, and back to bed.
We'll be sticking pretty close to home today... despite the beautiful sunshine!

No comments: