Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Merry Christmas!

We have been busy here, as always. Playgroup this week for the last time until after the new year. Christmas gift making and wrapping. Caleb is now an experienced wrapper (note: I did not say expert wrapper). We put the Christmas songs on, made up some hot cocoa and I got him started on the wrapping. He really had a good time. I've also been playing the piano a good deal for the kids. Josh LOVES music, and Caleb likes it and likes to listen. I wanted to share a song that I stumbled upon this season. It is a little off the beaten path from the typical Jingle Bells, but it Caleb asks for it frequently and it really hit home this season with the kids and trying to teach them about Christmas.

"Little One" by Shirley Watson

He sat by the fireside
'til his eyes became too heavy.
And he wandered off in dreams with elves at play.
Daddy found him sleeping
and took him up to bed.
Where he would spend the night in Santa's flying sleigh.
Christmas was a whisper in his ear.
Sounds that only children's hearts can hear.

Little one, in the morning when you waken
you'll find your ev'ry dream has taken form
There'll be joys
Christmas Day will come to life
because of you
And you are loved, Little one.

Mary lay and pondered
"til her eyes became too heavy.
And she fin'lly found the rest she struggled for.
Joseph sat in silence
and watched the baby sleeping.
And wondered what the future held in store.
Angel voiced whispered in his ear
Reaching down he drew the baby near

Little one, in the morning when You waken
the world will find that God has taken form
There'll be joy
and the earth will have new life
because of You,
For You are love, Little one.



Caleb is really excited for Christmas. We went shopping and he wanted to buy Santa a present. I thought that was cute. If you ask him, Caleb says that Christmas is Jesus' birthday AND Santa is coming. OK. Not sure where he got that, but that's his perception. We have had fun wrapping gifts and for the most part he is holding in his enthusiam about the presents, although he is like me and eager to give them away. I am not sure he has the understanding that there are presents under the tree for him and thus it isn't about the presents and commercial greed this year. I am praying that this will hold out. It's about Jesus' birthday and Caleb has asked to get Jesus a birthday cake....
This last Sunday night, we went to a walk through, outdoor living nativity and salvation story called the "Path of lights". It was night time and we were guided through by a "Roman soldier". He took us along the way to various stops, where the lights would come on and the scene would tell their part of the story. It was very neat, and Caleb finally got to see "baby Jesus" as he has been asking for. It was a doll, but I don't think he noticed. Then we went inside and had cocoa and listened to an informal choir sing carols. Flanking the carolers were two artificial christmas trees with nothing on them but white lights. Caleb said that they were pretty but where were the stars? And I was in awe to realized from a child's perspective that a tree, something of nature, is beautiful all by itself, and the only thing that it was missing was the STAR, that which has pointed the way to Jesus for the last 2000 years. I was near tears and speechless with his pure perspective. And then he wanted to see baby Jesus outside again, so much for ending the curiousity.

Other Caleb news: every thing is his "FAVORITE" . If he likes it and wants it or wants to play with it or wants to watch it then it is "FAVORITE". That kid has so many favorites it is hard to keep track of them all.

He is still strong in the "I have a plan" language. He says that everyday. I have a plan, gonna eat and orange. I have a plan gonna find my juice cup. My tummy hurts, I have a plan, gonna use the potty.

He also is saying "Hmmm, I'm thinking no" which is so funny it is hard not to laugh when he says that about dinner. "Caleb eat your dinner"....."Hmmm, I'm thinking no." And he doesn't say it mean, just matter of fact. Hilarious.


Things I didn't think I'd say:

"Yes, I'll help you find/get your Woody (THE DOLL, from Toy Story)"
I knew I'd say "Don't bite your brother" but not "don't bite your brother's bum".
I knew I'd say "Don't play in the toilet" (leaning into the water with toys splashing), but I didn't think "Get OUT of the toilet Joshy!"

I know Mike didn't think he'd say "Did you poo on me Caleb?!"

About Joshy: This last Sunday I was praying about Josh. We all know that Caleb is sensitive and has a special gift and softness and several other gifts. And I was praying because I wanted to know if Josh was special in any way (other than the usual cute, happy and healthy which I'm already grateful for); because it would be hard to be the younger brother living in the shadow of a great big brother. Well, the answer from the Lord came almost instantly. Joshy's speaking/communication/understanding is his special gift. I had been surprised before at it, but now I was told that that was his special talent. And then I was reminded about Moses and Aaron (BROTHERS) of the Bible. Moses might have lead, but it was Aaron who was the speaker for all communications, it was Aaron that enabled Moses to address Pharoh, etc. Aaron played a vital role because of his speaking... and Joshy will too. I thought I'd share that special news about our little Jockey! Praise the Lord for quick answers to prayers.

Ok, good night.
And for most of the family, see you on Christmas EVE!

No comments: