Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Post-Dentist report.

Well, the positive side is that Caleb is 1 down and 2 treatments to go. He feels cool about it all. Caleb came home with a couple cool necklaces, a bouncy ball, and a plastic tooth container with his pulled tooth in it. Daddy bought his "FIRST TOOTH" for $5.00, not wanting to be a proponent of the tooth fairy myth. Daddy pays better than the tooth fairy, a little too much perhaps, but oh well. Besides, Daddy can pay whatever he wants because Daddy was the one who had to see Caleb through it all, and I'm sure there is an emotional value in there somewhere.

So the nitty gritty. Caleb liked the Strawberry scented laughing gas. (Did they have scented laughing gas when you were growing up? Not me, I wish. ) They spent a generous 8 minutes numbing EVERYTHING. Per Daddy, there were a couple tears, mostly when he felt a little trapped with the "dam" and all that set up and he had to wait while holding still. The "wiggle" (aka, actual tooth pulling) was brief. And Daddy was close enough to have to lay in the chair with Caleb and get hit and sprayed with tooth fragments (etc) during the crown process. Caleb had enough novocaine that he looked "like a stroke victim", per Daddy's words. But he came through it great! Though, he is half way towards looking like a gangsta with a grill. ;) (I guess the garish necklace with a huge blood red "ruby" stone went a long way towards that overall persona/get up.) Maybe I'll take a picture.

Caleb had lunch with Papa Dahl as kind of a reward for good behavior. He missed school because he wasn't feeling quite perky enough. I might give him some tylenol because he mentioned it hurt a tiny bit. Maybe pudding (psychological medicine, you know).

I've been a nervous wreck all day. I had to go grocery shopping just to get my mind off of it all. It worked, what a battle to get all the discounts the register was suppose to take off automatically... and then I got all the way home and realized that I forgot the TP under the cart, had to drive all the way back and anticipate a fight for my $4.00 TP, which would have creamed the budget if I would have had to buy it again. (run on sentences are the defining symptom of my anxious mind.) But it all worked out ok. But I'm still feeling bad about Caleb, especially when he tries to say Soccer, Thread, and a few other words. I'm trying to be positive ("easier to drink through straws now, huh?") but that's all a facade... which from my instructions from the dentist (via Daddy) it is really important I don't lead him into any negativity. Typically, kids get it from "Moms" mostly, per the Dentist; I don't want to give Caleb my creeps about the dentist, so I'm trying hard. Really hard. (Especially since my own teeth hurt and I'm trying to grin and bear it and ignore it, happy in denial.)

We look forward this weekend to Daddy being home for a long weekend. Not plans yet set in stone. And we haven't looked into the weather even. The current rain is quite convincing though. Ok, that's it for now. Have a great weekend yourselves.



Edited to add pictures:


Before:



After:

No comments: