Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Greetings from Mid-September. I can't believe it, this month is flying by. We are so busy that I know I'll wake up in three years (or July) and realize that the time flew past me while I blinked.

Josh is well established in his class. Miss Lisa said so today, he's doing great. He has been attending without pull-ups on, and much to every one's relief, no problems yet. I get home the work he's painted and cut... and when he cuts, he keeps on cutting until the whole page is in pieces. He is really excited to run into school each day, which is unique as it turns out, I heard many a wails in the halls today at drop off time. In the meantime, when Joshy is not at school, he is in LOVE with the Caillou show. He begs for it all the time, at all times of the day. It's a cartoon about a little boy and his adventures with his family, Canadian based. Perfectly acceptable content, but definitely something I don't want to sit down and engross myself in. But Joshy is in LOVE with it. This is Joshy's phase similar to Caleb's Buzz Lightyear infatuation.

Caleb is learning, but I can't help but wish I knew exactly what was said and what topics were broached. It's a public school, so of course I'm on guard. I was told today they learned about space bubbles (I know, sounds like something out of Star Wars.) And they are learning which problems they should try to resolve on their own through sharing, talking, or walking away... and which are big problems that require and adult. On the surface, I agree, but I can't help but think of the exceptions or worry about the child's judgement skills... or the ramifications later (Caleb choosing which problems to tell me about and which ones he THINKS he can handle.) We've already had to have formative discussions about certain books we don't want him to choose when he is given the opportunity to choose. I'm truly surprised that he remembers what I tell him when it comes to this type of instruction (subjects that oppose Jesus' rules), yet he still can't remember that I asked him to pick up his toys. When he can repeat back the things I instruct him about Jesus and his choices at school, I can't help but feel a confidence him though; I'll always have to watch out for the insidious things, because he won't see it coming at this point. But that's my job.

I'm considering going to the PTA meeting this Thursday. I don't know if I want to be on a committee, but I do want to be aware. Curriculum night is coming up, and it is also an open house night for Caleb to show me around his class. I'm going to take the opportunity to find out what books Caleb is exposed to, and a list of other things. Joshy will be at Cubbies and Caleb will be in the school's gym during the parent's only portion. I think it will all work out ok.

Speaking of Cubbies. Both of the boys have been to their first night in Awana for the year. Josh is in his own class for Cubbies with his own vest and book. Oh boy was he excited about that. The first verse was hard since he was handed the book 30 seconds before, and the teacher was new. BUT, he's already working on this week's verse and doing well.
Caleb is in a new class too, called Sparks. He gets a brochure to learn one long verse, accomplishing that earns him his verse and book. We're working on it. He is having some problems, and they are in a new league with higher expectations for him than in the old Cubbies he was used to.

Personally, I'm trying to take note and enjoy these few days of beautiful sun. I have a sense of the grains of time sifting away before the looming doom of gray settles over in October. So I'm trying to get things done. I'm frantically working to live up to my own expectation of completing Joshy's 3rd year scrapbooking pages, only 2 left, so I feel mostly accomplished. I have bigger projects coming and I promised myself I wouldn't start those until I completed this. Also, I worked (outside of the house) the last two days while the mice were away, my does the time fly.

Joshy spent Monday with Grammy Dahl. He was VERY excited about the idea of going swimming. He is now pushing off and going out 6-8 feet into an awaiting adults arms. He loves to dive under, look at and retrieve items. Josh also went to Wiggle Worms, but he was by far too advanced for that program. I'm so glad that this isn't his challenge; I've met two moms this week with autistic children and I am blessed to just have disobedience to deal with.

Shooter has begun to enjoy backyard free for all time. I sit out and supervise him, but he loves to get a good distance of hopping/running in and discovering all the yummy munchies in the yard. Our yard is simply a treasure trove for bunnies (and it's great he instinctively stays away from the bad plants like rhodies, buttercup, etc.). He loves the fresh air and the chance to cool off in the long, damp, green grass. He also loves to cuddle outside; I got a full 1/2 hour one evening of him nestled under my chin and ear. This is something my childhood rabbit never did and I think it's something I missed.

As for the rest of the week: Caleb has a dentist appointment on Thursday. I work on Friday and have a MOPS meet and greet. Mike works this weekend, I am trying to build up the energy to have a garage sale and boys at the same time. And I might go play bingo and have some Me time. Well, see. I just can't believe how busy life has become. I feel like I'm on a merry go round, fun, but so fast everything is a undeniable blur.

That's all for tonight.

No comments: