Sunday, January 18, 2009

Another week in our New Year.
It seems like forever ago already that 2009 started.

This week we were blessed to find Caleb a "new" $10 bike at Value Village. It is the next size up and will keep him cruising happily, especially with the (cross our fingers) spring/summer warm months just around the corner. Consequentially, Jockey has inherited Caleb's stellar red bike, and Daddy at this exact moment is getting the training wheels back onto it so that the little dude has a chance at keeping up with Caleb. We'll see how he does, before this he has been enjoying the wonderful tricycle that Tessa and the Surfaces blessed him with.

This is a three day weekend with the boys getting Monday off. Their biggest thrill on the weekends is to share the same room. This time they have enjoyed a camp out in the living room, sleeping bags and movies, etc. It was great, and they are even sleeping in a bit in the morning which is a gift to us.

They are getting to be well known at church. They are recognized by the teachers, and more importantly, Caleb is recognizing kids from his classes and getting more personable. I know that this is not my strong suit (remembering names and particulars and building friendships) so I'm pleased to see him succeeding in an area that I might not be able to help him with as much as I would like. But conversely, I hope that he will build the relationships that HE enjoys without my pushing him. I'll still guide him away from the problematic boys, but not push into what he isn't ready for.

Joshy is also growing dramatically. He's adapting to the school routines, can say a quarter of his alphabet, count to 9 or even up to 12. He knows his shapes, but is still a little erroneous on his colors.
Up until now, the growth on a daily basis is so subtle that it is hard to see for a mom... but lately, I can see near weekly changes in the boys. They are rapidly becoming capable of conversation that keeps flowing similar to adults. They are comprehending more, their interests are developing. Of course, Joshy is very into testing me and the limits (often in the form of justification... "I'm just.... mom." Yes, I know Josh, but the answer is still no.) They are nearly different kids every month. I still have the goal of Caleb reading by the time he enters first grade and Daddy is working a deal with him to motivate him to work towards that goal. Josh, I want him to learn his colors and obediance. It doesn't sound like a lot, but for the "baby" in the family, learning to not be self-absorbed is big thing. Heck, isn't that hard for every body, to learn that we are not what the entire world revolves around.

In church, I was praying for my kids today and the Lord really brought it to me that it is never too early and they are never too young to begin the pursuit of God's Wisdom. In reflection on my childhood and adolescence, praying for wisdom/discernment was a major part of my life and the receiving of such was a huge blessing in my life and kept me out of several pitfalls most teenagers fall into. I want to make it part of my parenting to teach my children the value of, how to study to attain and how to receive (and use) God's wisdom. It will be priceless tool/blessing in their lives. I'm grateful that the Lord brought that to the forefront for emphasis in my parenting. My sons are bright and sensitive and strong, add to that godly wisdom/discernment and they will be powerful individuals. If they weren't so cute right now (chubby little kissable cheeks) I'd wish to fast forward to see what mighty awesome God following young men they will be. All in good time.

The day is very crisp outside at 36 degrees, but the sun is out and none too soon. Those gray days were getting me down and today is exactly the refresher that I needed.

This week, we visited the recycling center. We've been saving our pop cans, and Daddy brought home HUGE bags from a co-worker. With the entire back end of our truck filled without an ouce of space to spare, we trekked across town to see what $ they would fetch. 248 pounds!!!!! $50! The boys were enormously blessed with that kind of loot, but they got $5 ea and Daddy for his hour efforts kept the $40 to spend on things for the house (lunch for us etc.) The boys learned about tithing, about saving, and then making wise choices with the remainder. They were eager learners, and Caleb was beautiful in his generousity in buying his brother a slurpee for good behavior in the grocery store. He's trying to be a big boy, big brother and I see him mimicking my actions... good behavior get rewarded, bad behavior has consequences. I do worry about him having the "first child" syndrome behaviors of bossy, controlling, over responsiblity. I am working on it. Just like I try to work on Jockey not to have the second child, "baby" syndrome of selfish, helplessness, taking for granted that other's will pave the way and him not having to make an effort. But it was a bright point of the week, it felt like a successful day. We got $, we were recycling and good for the environment and we learned some lessons and got some cool (cheap) toys. Positives all around.

Last week we visited our friends Dave and Anne and their kids. Both our sons are now in LOVE with their oldest Wyatt, 11. They have got him on such a pedestal for study, sharing and just being around. They want to do what Wyatt is doing and learn from anything Wyatt is willing to show him. A near idolization is the best description. They fight over who gets to sit next to him etc. And Wyatt is great with them. Plays with them, piggy backs with them, shows them the safe way to play with cap guns, the cool collections he's got, the interesting things he's doing. He has patience with them and can snag their attention like few things/people do. I'm thinking I see a baby sitter in the making! Just a little bit more time and it will be ideal. In fact, the night we were over at their house, he kept the boys occupied and entertained so much, Mike did slip him a couple bucks out of appreciation. He seemed to get a sense of pride and responsiblity. Again another positive that has occurred this week.

So that's the last week in a nutshell. This week dawn's with a day off for the kids, a couple of days of working for me, MOPS on Friday (crossing my fingers and holding my breath that NOTHING will threaten it's cancellation like the last few meetings). I have to pull together a craft for the ladies for Friday, a responsiblity that is actually fun and not drudgery. The boys have school and Awana. And away we go. Busy busy.

I hope you all have good weeks. Full, exciting, restful and centered.
TTFN, I have to enjoy the rest of this beautiful day.

No comments: