Saturday, January 24, 2009

Not a tragedy, but a comedy. I had to share.

All this time, we've been training our kids to keep the dogs and rabbit apart. Keep the doors closed when the rabbit is out, put the rabbit away before the dogs can go outside. etc. etc. Today, their training failed and rather than a tragedy, we had a comedy.
First, Shooter rabbit was out and running around and the back slider door was open. Then Zuma got a hold of a pizza crust (thanks Jockey) and then was allowed into the TV room (again, thanks Jockey). I leapt up to grab Zuma, but thinking that I was going to take her crust away, she ran outside. She ran to the side of the fence and began crunching on the crust. Contrary to my expectation, Zuma didn't chase the rabbit on sight. The rabbit hopped to about 3 feet away. When Zuma was preoccupied with the crust and didn't go after the rabbit on sight, I decided to see what was going to happen. The rabbit approached Zuma. He hopped up and sniffed Zuma in the front, then nose to nose, and then he hopped around Zuma and sniffed her back leg. It was only then that she was "oh, what's THAT sniffing me". Then Zuma began to walk toward Shooters hutch and the rabbit ran at her to defend the hutch. So then Zuma walked to the middle of the yard. And oddly enough, the rabbit hopped out to her and sniffed and then charged at her. He circled Zuma and hopped under her and charged again and circled. They were acting like two dogs playing/wrestling, just like Tigger and Zuma do when Zuma goes under Tigger. I was amazed and shocked. I was actually worried that the rabbit would bite and draw blood from Zuma and send her yipping and howling. If I hadn't of been worried, I might have had happiness rather than simple shock. It was actually quite funny to see the little 4 pound rabbit charge and take on a 23 pound dog and try to "play". (I'm choosing to be optimistic and view it as play rather than aggression.)
I'm still shocked and humored by the charging rabbit boldly approaching and playing with a dog. Granted, Shooter didn't sprint anywhere and tempt Zuma's love for a good game of chase. But I am relieved that this was a comedic event rather than a blood bath. I only wish I had the camera in my hand. I don't know whether we should risk it just for a picture. But that's what memories are for. Hope you enjoyed the story.

No comments: