Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Just a little update.

We went to the park yesterday for about 2 hours. It was a little chilly, but it was way better than trying to keep the kids occupied in the house. We met a family that we knew from last week, and then one of my MOPS acquaintances (her son was in Caleb's Kindergarten class) stopped by. So we had and unplanned playdate.

Then today, Mike came home sick. But he took Caleb out to eat for lunch.
Jockey and I chilled at the house until they returned.
I went to work today.

Caleb has been literally hanging over the fence making friends with the boys that live behind us. Today he was invited over, in fact Josh was too. So they went over there for about an hour. This is the first time I've had a playdate that I didn't attend myself and watch them. Any others I have been at, stayed at, etc; and it's rare that anyone but Grammy (school or Auntie Brittany, briefly) watches the kids, no babysitters here. So it was a shock to feel like a new phase has begun for the boys and myself. They are getting big enough to have social lives outside of me. At least Caleb is, Jockey is still a tag-a-long. He doesn't really see a difference between himself and Caleb's age group. It's a strange feeling. There is a huge trust issue that goes along with this. Can I trust other people to act safe/appropriate with my kids? Are my kids going to behave? It's a whole letting go thing.
I did receive a good report and told they would be welcome back anytime. We were also invited to a church puppet show performance tomorrow evening. I'm planning on going since the cousins of our neighbors will be there (the ones Caleb is REALLY interested in). These cousins (at least one of them) is in Caleb's Awana. So he knows them. But the intriguing thing is that Blake has been hounding his mom to get together with Caleb too. So I'm happy to hear that other's are wishing to seek Caleb out too. I have hopes that this will lead to some good friendships. (shared faith, similar ages, similar physicial capabilities, etc.)

Tomorrow, we will swim in the morning and see cousin Tessa. A nice but all too infrequent occurrence. I won't be telling them until the morning though because I don't want to be badgered about it for the next two hours. The morning will be enough.

Thursday, I work. I don't have significant plans for the boys.
Friday, MOPS in the park in the morning, IF we are still in town. Still toying with the idea of going somewhere.

However, right now the house needs alot of attention and work. I had the boys seriously excited and enthusiastically helping clean the bathroom yesterday. I hadn't ever seen this kind of cleaning energy from them, but I suppose the 1/4 box of Q-tips I let them use to clean the crannies was a unique experience. (We are working on the deep clean areas that often get neglected in the quick punt to get the general space clean...ex: the molding ledge, perfect q-tip width.) Spraying the cleaner was also a thrill. I'm hoping to train them now that they have to be a part of the cleaning since they are part of the household inhabitants. And if I have to go through an entire box of q-tips (only $1 at $-store) to get some help... so be it!!!! And I bribed them with gum, I admit it.

So that's the week in an upshot.

TTFN

No comments: