Tuesday, April 03, 2007

"Mommy, I farted/tooted, you like it".

I hear this multiple times a day, so I thought I'd share. No, in fact I don't like it, but he thinks we all do. Tigger too.

So we went to our first official school function as the parents of our eldest child. And the grandparents representing Caleb were Grandma Judyand Grandpa Bill. It was a silent auction, dessert tasting, face painting, and Egg Hunt time of chaos. We were lucky enough to have nice weather. Caleb and Joshy both participated in the Egg Hunt. Caleb was quite excited, and much to my relief and happiness, he was feeling very independent and said that he could do it himself. (I was not so independent as a child, too shy to share my competitive drive or a fear of failing to gather enough eggs). I am soooo happy that he is confident enough to work independently. And that he did, and he did great! He had sizable collection at the end of plastic eggs, mostly filled with chocolate; gratefully, we opened them and didn't have to confiscate it all with food color. Grandpa Bill helped with the food coloring items. Caleb even got a few coupon/prize tickets which he turned in for trinkets. Joshy also did great, once he figured out that he was to pick them up and not throw them or run off with them, but rather put them in the bag to be collected. They were both cute, confident and competitive in the egg collection. To call it a Hunt would not be accurate... they were in the age group of "up to and including 3." So mostly the eggs were just laying around in the grass. Perfect.
Caleb then got his face painted. At first he wanted a green cross, but then another little boy got a bat, so Caleb ended up with both. Interesting enough, Caleb often complains about being afraid of bats. But then the event ended for us with a period of time playing on the play equipment and then dinner at McD's. All I have to say is, I hadn't been to a sit down restaraunt with the boys in coming close to two months, and I clearly see why and know that I won't be doing a restaraunt any time soon.

So Caleb was looking forward to going to preschool again today, he thought that they would have another egg hunt. Well,... I had to explain it. But we did find out that there is an upcoming Show and Tell Pet day. AND a field trip to the firehouse to see the station, trucks and firemen. Caleb is excited about that. As I dropped Caleb off today, they started the music and began circle and singing time. I was reading the calendar and on came the children's song "God is love" and I had just a happy, peace that I knew now deep down that I had made a good choice in preschools for Caleb. I was just inwardly happy about where he is for this time in his life. When I picked him up, the teacher also mentioned that the lesson (other than learning the letter R) was about Jesus and the empty tomb and being alive and risen. Evidently, Caleb knew the story and helped her tell it and understood very well. I was so proud of him. I guess being in Awana and memorizing scripture has really helped. I am so grateful to have Caleb in this environment.

Joshy is starting to pick up more and more words everyday. He is great at his non-verbal, but he is getting more verbal all the time. Yesterday he said Cheese and Buzz (as in Lightyear, toy story). It is just amazing what he is doing, able to do, and growing into as a toddler. When we picked up Caleb as school, Joshy ran onto the playground and took the soccer ball. He was kicking it, running, picking it up and throwing it, it was as if he was having his own Keep Away game from the other boys, and he was doing impressivly well. The teacher asked again how old he was.... He'll be in their school in Sept '08 I'm sure!

Joshy is getting great at things, however, any mistakes or learning curve is evident on his head. The series of dents and bruises either tell everyone that he is an active boy, or his parents beat on him. He had 4 accross the forehead all at one time. Fortunately, he is getting a very small amount of additional hair, which serves the purpose of covering the bruises that are not on his forehead. He's happy though.

Joshy is even fighting back and then some. I warned Caleb that whatever he did to Joshy, then Joshy will give back. And he has begun to within the last week or so. And Caleb doesn't like it!

Well, that's all I have time for. Gotta make and eat dinner.
Later.

No comments: