Saturday, February 02, 2008

So what do you do in the middle of winter on a partly-clear (speaking optimistically) day?

Go to the ZOO! That's right, the hours may be slightly shorter, but the prices are cheaper, and we found a great coupon. So we bundled up and packed lunch for a day at the zoo. Our first time daring to go without a stroller. The kids did ok, with the help of daddy's shoulders and the little help I could offer to carry them. They started out strong and running everywhere they were so excited, if they were seasoned at this type of thing, then the probably would have paced themselves a bit more. But all in all we did fine.
Caleb insisted that we have to see the Bears and the Gorillas. (and Mommy's favorite is the Nocturnal house, which we saw in the last 15 minutes it was open, I was happy.) Caleb also got a huge thrill out of the Otters, especially when we were there for feeding time. The Lions and Zebra were elusive. We saw the Elephant getting a pedicure. We of course saw lots of sleeping animals. It was cold, so the animals were not highly active, but if they were out then they were holding still... good for kids.



Jockey jogged from place to place, he got tired first. But he did have a great encounter with a little black monkey (I forget the technical name).
And I even got a rare picture of myself with the boys!



Our day ended with a "date". My MOPS programs brought to our attention that as Moms, we often forget that God has us prioritize as follows 1) God, 2) spouse and 3) children. Often the squeaky children get the attention over the spouse. In attempts to better find balance Mike and I had a "date", or as best as we can with no childcare. By the time we came back across 520, the kids were asleep... so we drove into Burgermaster (drive in eating) and got food, then drove to the Kirkland waterfront and sat and watched the park, the people, the water, the evening lights while eating and talking. It might have been the calmest meal I've had with the kids or my spouse in a long time. Of course, the kids took such a late nap, I'll be up late with them, but it is a fair trade off. I'm a night owl anyway (or at least in comparison to being a morning person.)

Mike will go out for a bit of guys' time tonight while I batten down the hatches (boy's room doors) a little later.

Good night for now.

No comments: