Thursday, February 21, 2008

We saw the lunar eclipse last night. It was great. I kept thinking to myself, when will my kids get to see that again. Or something just as amazing. I remember back when I was a kid, and my parents took my brother and I out to a field (far from any city lights) in Arizona, to see Haley's comet pass by. That was a probably a once in a lifetime viewing since it comes around about every 87 years, how similar will this lunar eclipse before my boys. Or for that matter, what once in a lifetime experiences can I provide for them, that they will remember years and years from now. I haven't come up with any answers, but at least I know what I'm looking for.

We also had the honor of spending a Birthday dinner with our GG Dahl last night. The boys put on an entertaining, dinner-and a -show experience for her. She expressed sincere delight in spending time with the boys and getting to know them. Caleb insisted on sitting next to GG, and then he talked with her quite a bit and gave her huge hugs during dinner. He told her all about dinosaurs and his preschool buddies. And at the end of the meal, Caleb and GG shared a chocolate sundae. It was very nice to see the oldest and youngest generations of the Dahl family spending time together. I'm very glad that GG loves my boys so very much and gleans such joy from being around them and seeing their antics.

We were sad that we couldn't make Thursday or Saturday plans because we both worked both days. But hopefully, she had a great evening. Dinner with the boys, a lunar eclipse, and we dropped her off just in time to finish a pleasant evening with a special ballroom dancing show. Sounds pretty good to me.

My boys are so very fortunate to have so many Great grandparents still alive. It is a rare and wonderful opportunity. They have 3 remaining GREAT grandparents, and they knew a 4th in Great Grandma Severson. And it brings tears to my eyes to know that Caleb even at a young age (whose memory seems to be selective or not yet fully recording) remembers Great Grandma Severson and still asks about her. I hope he never forgets her even in his limited experiences with her. But it is amazing that my boys get this time with such span of generations. I hope that they get a chance to learn from these Great Grandparents the differences of culture and technology and the memories that these treasured people can pass on.

Well, it's off to shower and go to the recycling center to turn in Caleb's hard saved and stomped flat cans into a little cash-ola. I'm hoping to teach him the values of hard work, recycling, and the value of money and making choices on how to spend it wisely and in ways that reflect the work that went into earning the money in the first place. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: