Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Caleb said something very interesting.

He was drawing and drew a happy face. He said "This is how they want you to draw a happy face". That seems like a pretty innoculous statment. However, it started my wheels turning. First I thought about how children don't inherently know the icons of feelings, often they don't even know the names of their own feelings. But then I wondered who are "they", that they are dictating to my son (or anyone) was happiness looks like either literally or figuratively? Why do they dictate? Why do we listen? Why does happiness have to appear a certain way to be accepted as "happy"?

A child may be quiet, but happy. A fast moving, talkative child may not be happy. A mountian dwelling hermit can be happy knowing he's doing as he wishes rather than the door to door salesman abrading away his time? Yet, hermits are judged to be unhappy. A quiet reserved person with few things is seen as unhappy or poor. A boisterous person with a bounty of materialistic items is seen to be happy.
I don't want anyone (other than me) dictating to my children what is happiness. I don't want Caleb to ever feel sadness because he doesn't measure up to what they characterize happiness by.Possessions are often a measure of happiness in this world, especially at this time of year. But that's not what I try to teach Caleb and Josh. They don't get alot, but I still want them to be able to find happiness. In our home we measure happiness with obediance to God's word and His will. Where else can you have peace and happiness than in the comfort in knowing you're where you should be or called to, doing as you should be doing or asked to do.

One thing that I have always loved about my sons is that they monetary value of a item has never come to factor in to the enjoyment they have with it. They would be happy with a garage sale .25 something that was worth close to that new. The easy to please nature of the boys is a blessing. I can bring them joy more often when it is so easily/affordably attained. Joy comes from sharing it, so I'm joyful when they are.

I guess I've learned another lesson from a kindergartener. Interesting.

At Awana, part of Jockey's craft project (which I was parent helping with) was that the kids were asked for one thing they'd like to give or do for their parents, it was written on the card, put in a little sleeve and then sent home for under the tree. The surprise element went bust for me because I was helping... however, it was quite cute what Joshy said. He said "I want to teach my parents a lesson.... (long pause, in which I started getting a little nervous).... to swing and jump." Cute, and I'm glad he has a specific idea of what we will be taught, rather than some ambiguous "lesson" like in extreme patience.

The boys have decided that action figures are "so cool". They like to pretend to be super heroes. They switch off being batman, spiderman, super-fast ninja turtles, ironman, bibleman, etc. At least there are less toys left out during this kind of play.

So that's all for now. I've got to get back to it.

No comments: