Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year...... almost.

The boys have been asking for three days if it is the day we go to California! Finally, today is the day. Their traveling backpacks are ready and will hopefulling keep them interested for the flights. Their clothes are packed so that they won't have a choice but to wear clothes (given a choice they wouldn't.) The Christmas presents for Grandma and Papa Bishop are packed.
Just a few last minutes details to toss into the bags and we are set. I'm a little nervous about this TIME of flight. It is the first time that I have flown in the evening and I just don't know whether they are going to stay awake or not; if NOT, are they going to behave and stay in their seats quietly... or are they going to act like nightmare, disobedient, spectacle creating children. I guess I'll find out because there is nothing that I can change about it right now. I know I'd try to fall asleep on the plane if given a choice, won't the bumpy landing wake me up?
I've already tried to talk to them about the rules at Grandma's house. I will go over the rules again. I'm trying to think ahead and believe that the reason why they get into so much is because it is an unfamilar environment and the adjustment period is what is annoying.... optimistic, sure. But the alternative is knowing they are just careless and choosing reckless, disobedient, disrespectful behavior. I'd rather look at the positive side until proven otherwise.

The New Year is just hours away. We will begin a fresh in our minds (nothing is truly totally fresh.) I hope to instill in my sons confidence in who they are as people and follower's of Christ. I hope to give them confidence in their skills, and acceptance in their weakness and how to seek out balance in friends (and eventually spouses) that are strong where they are weak. My sincere wish that Caleb will be reading by the time school ends, although it's like trying to get a grasshopper to sit still and focus. And little Joshy is the "test-o-matic", a true second child who is testing all rules and boundaries for weakened resolve. I'm going to have to keep my eye on him and follow through on all consquences with that guy. It's hard to believe that I have a come up on 6 year old, and by the time school starts again, I'll have a 4 year old.

Time has just whipped by. All the baby stages are GONE for these two. I forgot to mention that Joshy has got about month of dry nights. He is a "Big boy" now without accidents at night! I'm proud of him. I don't know if it is an absence of urge, because I can't say that he is actually getting up in the middle of the night either. (Which makes me be ready for backsliding in the back of my mind.) But he is dry and he is so excited to wear just underwear! He darn near cries if I even ask him to wear a pull-up. So sucess until further notice!

Caleb told me that I should get a job the other day. He said I could keep the job I have now and just have 2 jobs. I asked him what that job would be. He said that I should deliever newspapers on my bike, and that those newspapers should have news that Jesus is alive on them so that everyone will know. Good thought towards the end of the conversation, however, I did have to have the talk about all the "jobs" that mommy actually already has...Hmmmm.

The New Year will begin for us in California, and I'm hoping to see a little sun while we are there. Then it can snow again all it wants once we are back. (I would like a safe arrival back home, but then snow snow snow). I never get tired of it. It's always so bright and peaceful to look at. And that's about all I do is look at it.

Happy New Year. TTFN.

No comments: