Thursday, January 05, 2006

Caleb is a little happy tazmanian devil...

He whirls around making just the same messes. As I'm cleaning up one mess he is off making another. I could catch up with him if I could freeze time.

Caleb and Josh stayed with Grammy and Papa Dahl yesterday while Mike and I went out for Mike's one day, belated birthday dinner. It was a nice dinner, a special treat. This was the second time that both Josh and Caleb stayed with the grandparents. I think that everyone had a good time, but the report came back that both Grammy and Papa were needed to watch Josh and Caleb. Even teams is the best approach, hence the decision not to have more kids ourselves. Caleb was running around quick like a bunny getting into things. And Josh is an attention monger. He loves to be played with and misses the attention if he isn't done playing.

Josh is really finding more and more objects interesting. It is nice to see that his world is expanding a little bit. I'd like to let Josh play on the floor a bit more and have more tummy time so that he can learn to roll and crawl... but Caleb will jump over him, head butt him, throw things at him. It's just so difficult to have tummy time unless I'm hovering over Josh. It's not safe to even leave Josh on the floor so that I can use the restroom, unless Caleb is sleeping of course. Then there are the times that Josh finally gets to sleep for a much needed nap (and a much needed break for me) and Caleb thinks that Josh should be awake and does everything that he can think of to wake the baby.

Potty training continues. Success is good as long as Caleb's naked. However, I don't want to mention what kind of mess happens when there's an accident in his "big boy" underwear. Some days I wish I was the babysitter and I could just hand that messy child back to the parent.

Caleb has done surprisingly well with our family's recent loss. However the one crack was when I was sleeping and he hadn't seen me in an hour or so and he sudden thought that I was "gone" and began to cry. Luckily I was upstairs and could reassure him quickly. I have a strong little boy if he is understanding "gone" and handling it so well with regard to our beloved pet. And though I hate seeing Caleb upset, it is a little nice to see that he would miss me.

Caleb says he misses me or Mike periodically. The first time he said it, it just melted my heart. The other great things to hear were "I love you" and "Mommy, me proud you". It just makes me happy and confident in what I am doing in Caleb's life every time I think of what he said.

Well, back to keeping up with my little whirl wind.

No comments: