Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Hi all,

I gave Caleb his new Bible today. He was so cute; without prompting he said "thank you me book mommy". He was very enthusiatic about the Bible. He liked the pictures and we read a little bit of it. I told him that it was God's Word and he said "yeah, yeah" and this was how we learn things and know what Jesus said "yeah, yeah". It was very nice. Caleb tells me he likes my surprises.

We went to play group today. That was fun. I'm so proud of Caleb and the way that he is interacting with the other children of late. He is learning to share and play together with the kids. Someone told me once that the dog that likes to be chases is the leader, well, that's my little Caleb. He loves to have others chase him.

Caleb has entered into a new phase of emotional developement. He is starting to have more feelings but hasn't learned to describe the feelings yet. So anything unhappy, sad, mad, embarrassing is "me no like"; and then everything good is "me happy mommy" and then he tells me what object is making him happy. I've had to start guessing what the feeling is and then helping him understand and constructively express it, or explain a course of action to prevent how he is feeling. For example, for Cousin Nick's birthday, we called Nick to wish him well. I offered Caleb the phone and he turned it down in silly 2 yr old style and throwing his shirt over his face. So Nick had to go and we hung up. Suddenly Caleb says "me no like Nick me no like talk". Knowing that Nick is darn close to his idol I knew that he was trying to say more than the words meant. It turned out that Caleb was sad that he didn't actually talk to Nick. So I had to tell him that next time I ask if he wants to talk he has to say yes and not be shy. There are other actions or words that he says that shows he is trying to work through and learn other emotions. It's so addicting to watch Caleb develope and become aware. He changes nearly every week.

Well, time for naps. Bye for now.

No comments: