Thursday, March 05, 2009

How did the meeting with Caleb's teacher go?

Well. I had filled out a questionaire, and so had his teacher. When the scores were within 5-6 points of each other and both scores fell into the "good candidate for retention (i.e. repeating kindergarten)". The counselor was there too. We discussed and wrote out the pros and cons, something that Mike and I had gone through at home, but they needed to know what we were thinking. There were dozens of pros, one maybe two cons that's it. Most importantly, this is 1) what we want as parents and 2) when asked, this is what Caleb says he wants. Those weigh heavily into the decision. Mrs. Gillespie fully supports our decision and can see the value in it based on her experience with Caleb. The counselor commended us as parents for looking at this decision so maturely and with such an open mind, most parents seem to think that a child's age mandates them into a school grade... you're going into kindergarten because your 5, come hell or high water, etc. She thought that it was great that we were trying to make a good Caleb decision. And that is our intent, not just to make a good '09-'10 decision, but a good decision that will give him a good footing for the next 15 years.
Thinking on the various points brought up at the meeting brought a dawning revelation to me: Caleb in his personality truly wishes to lead and be a role model to other kids. However, right now he lacks confidence and is so afraid to fail and face humiliation (points brought up by his teacher) that it is actually stunting that desire in his true personality. Thinking on that, coupled with the idea of not fighting my child's nature as lectured on at one of our MOPS meetings, I've developed the belief that maturity gains easier comprehension, full comprehension leads to confidence, confidence leads to leadership. I will be affirming Caleb's nature and personality by giving him the opportunity to mature and build into himself comprehension, success, and confidence.

So all in all the meeting went well. I have the teacher and counselor on board. The counselor has paperwork to fill out and to meet with the principal to make the final decision. I was told that at another school this might not be possible, but that our principal is in favor of retention when it is appropriate; this makes our intra-district transfer that much more critical... turned that paperwork in today too. And while I was at it, I told them I needed AM kindergarten for my job... I figured I'd get all my demands out on the table while I was in the building. So we are just waiting on paperwork and a meeting that should be pretty cut and dry because we (the parents and child) want this so strongly. I'll be praying and holding my breath in the meantime.

That's the results for today. I have to get the kids to Cubbies and Sparks.
Caleb has school tomorrow and then will be going camping with Grandpa and Grammy Dahl in Anacortes. Jockey and I will have some quality time (maybe slow bike rides and painting) while Daddy is working most of the weekend. So that's it in a nutshell.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Congrats on a successful meeting, and on a decision made well. Good for Caleb - and that is what matters most!

On a totally different note - in our district, most kids do full day kindergarten; is that really different in Monroe? Between the two classes at Alki there are 52 kids or something like that, and though it's offered, nobody does half day. I'm not saying better or worse, but I'm very curious as to how different the districts are. Are most of Caleb's peers half day, too?

Krystal said...

Less than 25% of the kids are all-day, but at least 50 kids are just morning and I know of one class of 24 that is just PM. The overwhelming majority of kids are half day with moms at home or working in ways that still allow them to be home for their kids.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It's horrible when kids are made to do something just because of their age. I think Caleb will thrive with your decision!
I'm glad your meeting was frutiful!