Monday, March 27, 2006

Mommy's Misadventure on the way to Caleb's Great Adventure.


Caleb was to go camping with Grammy and Papa Dahl this weekend, and I had to drive him up to them in Anacortes. That drive turned out to be longer than expected. Caleb was very excited, and for a little guy who often falls asleep in the car, he stayed awake out of excitement. All except for the last 5-10 minutes of the drive, but that would be because we were delayed by at least half hour. On the drive up there, the car's low fuel light came on. Trying to be smart, I got off the highway and find gas on the south end of Mount Vernon. But I never found a gas station there and had to keep going right through town, up and over the free way to the eastside of I-5 and when I finally found a gas station 1/2 block away from the light I was waiting at... The car died in the middle of traffic. I've put my hazard lights on and the car is in nuetral. Caleb asks "mommy what doing?", "Caleb, mom has ran out of gas.", "mommy, what doing?", "Caleb, mommy is trying to push the car off the road." With the help of a stranger I did get the car off the road. But this is where it gets amazing. When the low fuel light came on, I had been on the phone with Danene. Through stalling out, pushing the car and now sitting in a parking lot, a flurry of phone calls transpired. I called Aunt Danene, she called Uncle Jeff, I called Uncle Jeff, I called Cousin Barb, Uncle Jeff called back, I called Cousin Barb back, I called Mike, and Papa Dahl.... see, a flurry.

Uncle Jeff was just getting off work in Burlington when we spoke. He came back into Mount Vernon after borrowing a gas can from work and filled our car up enough to get to the gas station. Caleb was excited to see Uncle Jeff. After a very grateful hug good bye (and as it turned out, see you later) I got into the car to drive away. Caleb talked about Uncle Jeff, "what doing?". I told him Uncle Jeff helped us, the exact words were "Uncle Jeff saved our bums Caleb." Caleb said "Uncle Jeff Big Helper", "Oh yeah Caleb, absolutely!"

From there the endorphins carried me to Anacortes, and Caleb was awake until about 5-10 minutes out. He had been a little trooper and stayed awake and calm and Not Demanding (thank you Caleb and Praise the Lord) the whole time. Josh was also a little trooper too as he was awake as well then entire time.

This really wasn't my week. Starting with Caleb sick, then me, then the rest of the family, then running out of gas.... THEN, I forgot to leave the carseat with Grammy and Papa, so I had to drive back up Saturday morning to drop it off. But the drive was full of beautiful sun and a calm Josh so what more could I ask for.

Caleb had a good time camping with Papa and Grammy for the first time all by himself. He threw rocks and went on walks, 4 miles worth! The highlight was that he tried bowling; Caleb dutifully reported that he got "two pins" and held up his two little fingers. He went to the park, and played with Foster. He climbed rocks. As relayed to me: They were eating at a restaraunt when a lady came up and said to Caleb that he isn't eating much. Caleb's response "Jockey eats"!!! How funny is that! It's true Josh does eat well and I hope that continues, but I really hope I haven't given Caleb a complex about it. I was also told that in the morning Caleb woke up and said "Papa Bishop takin' me fishin'", so he is always thinking adventure. Caleb slept on their couch. He got to push the buttons to recline the couch. While packing he insisted he bring is "Pooh blanket", so he stayed warm and cozy. When he came back, I asked him if he had fun, "yes", and did he want to camp again "Camp again!!!" And I'm sure that wish will come true this summer.

Well, that was our weekend. An adventure and a misadventure.

No comments: