Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Caleb is branching out in the world!

I received a phone call from Caleb's Grammy last night of glad tidings and good cheer last night (and hear of additional reports of the same today) that Caleb used the potty at their house for the first time...twice! (Today another 4 times!!!!) This is fantastic! Wonderful! It's like it is really going to happen! Caleb is making a beeline to the restroom when asked and is happy about it! Imagine that, from the little boy who adamently said "NO" before. I'm so happy for him, it is a true success and I want him to feel that confidence and successful feeling. It's been a concerted effort between myself, Daddy and the Grandparents to get him this far, thanks to everyone! I'm looking forward to the days with only one diaper bill; I hope that Caleb not having diapers on doesn't mean more trouble (rushing to a bathroom when we are already loaded in the car and we are already late and there isn't time or I can't get there soon enough with Josh in my arms) than it's worth. Life has good and bad to every stage... I guess inconvience and laundry are cheaper than a case of diapers, so I'll just deal.

Caleb will return home today with surprises under the tree. I can barely wait to see the excitement on his face on Christmas day. I am wondering if Christmas is turning out to be for for me or the child. Caleb is so happy and content with what he has, he doesn't miss what he doesn't have. There is something special and precious about the innocence of childhood and the contentment that a child has with what they do have that is refreshing compared to the constant state of exhausting striving that adults live in trying to attain the next item or level of material success. It makes it a delightful joy to give to a child who feels love and give loves whether he opens gifts or not. Caleb wouldn't miss Christmas day, I'm glad; as long as he knows that the reason we have Christmas at all is because of Jesus Our Saviour, that's what makes me satisfied.

Keep your fingers crossed and prayers lifted up that Josh will get on a schedule and sleep through the night. I'm trying, but it is tiring. He sleeps during the day and it is very tempting to let him do that so that I can get things done and play with Caleb (or thought of all thoughts...sleep too). But I know in the long run that he should sleep during the night and I will not be as tired if we ALL sleep at night. It's amazing to me how he can wail and fight sleep, and then 10 seconds later be asleep. I wish I could fall asleep that fast!

I was watching Josh sleep. One of those mom moments when I should have been sleeping but I just couldn't sleep right away if I could watch such an angel sleep peacefully for a few moments. He has the most precious milky white and fleshy pink complexion, smooth like porceline; it was broken only my the dark brown flutter of his every lengthening lashes. His breath was rhythmic and warm. I'd close my eyes and he would stir and laugh. I'd enjoy that and start watching him again, just in time to see a sweet, contented smile, dimple and all appear and fade on his face. He's as happy in his sleep as he is when he is awake. It brings peace to me to know this.

Josh is getting better at sitting up, although he's not doing it by himself. He really enjoys standing and looking around. He is trying to be a thumb sucker, although right now he's settling for any and all parts of one or BOTH hands. For him, Eye Contact is where it is at, it's as if you don't exsist without eye contact. Josh is about 16, maybe a little more, pounds. And into SIZE 3 diapers!!!!! I wouldn't want to risk a smaller diaper when we are out at risk of a blowout too terrible to contain and clean up after. I'm so proud of his growth and health, although he isn't a giant compared to where Caleb was at this age.... Despite Josh's reputation as the big baby.

Tonight I am going to set Josh under the Christmas tree to see what he thinks of the colors and lights. I hope that he can enjoy as much of the holiday season as a 3-4 month old can.

Josh says times up, bye bye now.

No comments: