Wednesday, March 05, 2008

March 5th, 2008

As of last night, Caleb is officially registered for Kindergarten. I was very prepared (if I might say myself) and forged boldly ahead into the line of persons ready to register; as a splendid result, Caleb was number 6 on the registered list. We now just have to hope that the application (which I had downloaded and came with fully filled out) for the intradistrict transfer is approved (switching us from Frank Wagner to Fryelands Elementary). Fryelands would offer better class size, boasts higher scores on the WASL... especially in reading, has a newer facilities therefore more updated in it's software/hardware/and basic building (thus in our minds, no fear of asbestoes, black mold, mildew, lead poisioning etc.)

As I embarked on getting this rite of passage paved for Caleb, I realized that it is a rite of passage for myself too. I reflected back to my school age years for guidance; one thing that I took away from my memories was that my mom was always a cavalier in standing up for our best interests at school, keeping us out of certain classes, requesting specific teachers, being around the school and a bug on the wall, and a vigilant support of our right and delicate morals that (in my opinion) some tried to squash for a variety of reasons, varying from mere inconvienence to adhere to all the way to total disagreement and choiceably trying to undermine the parental moral training. I look back knowing that my mother was the advocate to my learning and morals, and I am determined to be that banner waving or banner covering my children as they try to navigate their ever widening world. When the world is scary or harsh to them, there is safety here with the family unit and at home. Because I felt this way, the communication was better with my mom, and with that, I feel my "difficult" years (from a parent's standpoint... Tweeners (11-13), and early teenager years were less of a battle of rebelliousness. (Of course, as they say, then I got older and my will which was always iron, steeled into something unbending, and stayed that way for decades while the Lord chastened me. But I will not cross that path for a while with my boys and will gratefully deal with that in a decade from now.) So I do look forward with wary optimism as my child embarks on this new adventure. I will be the sometimes silent, and oft time not, guard, in full armor ready but hoping for peace in the valley (Sky Valley that is, as that is where Monroe geographically is located).

In other news. Our goats have returned with the rest of spring. Joshy and I got out and fed them two browning carrots that were only partially munched on by the boys the night before. Joshy was so excited to run to them in the "new" experience; I doubt he remembers back 5-6 months when the goats were last here.

The day was absolutely beautiful. The best gift I got really, not to impune the very thoughtful and Very generous gifts of my family... Dad (aka Papa Bill), GG, Kristina, etc. I will relish the dreams that will come true with the gifts I was given, but the beautiful sunshine of the day was a uplift to my birthday-struggling spirits. The perfect gift from the One above. If it had been a gray, dark day, I might have had to literally stay in bed. As it was, the bright sunshine made it easier to face "mommy, I want oatmeal, don't forget my chocolate milk. And I want to eat downstairs watching a show" and one said littlest boy removing his diaper AND well, you know. sigh. Thank you to all of you who tried so hard to make the day filled with warm thoughts and specialness.

So that is all for now. I will now enjoy a delight Pizza Bank Gyro (a favorite) while watching online catch up episodes of the very few shows I actually care to catch up on. Apprentice, Lost...
Good Night. And pray for Caleb to get his transfer to the better school.
Thanks

No comments: