Friday, March 14, 2008

The week is over, strangely enough, today felt more like a Saturday than it did a Friday.

I woke up this morning and had to start making mini-cakes for the Bake Sale that will take place at Caleb's pre-school. I'm kind of proud of the little star-shaped delights with the perfect Easter/plum-blossom pink frosting, courtesy of my frozen beet juice in reserve. Caleb is looking forward to tomorrow and seeing everyone and I hope it is a fun time for everyone who comes.

Laugh of the Day: While trying to potty train Joshy today. I had him sitting there. He actually said "Me to whittle (little) to Fart." That was so funny. (Daddy's response, "I'm too big, not to!")

The report on the dentist.
Good news: 1-we got Caleb in there, 2- there are things we can do 3-we are starting in on doing those things (and for Joshy too as preventative). Some of the steps, we had to get special (that's code for EXPENSIVE) flouride prescription toothpaste. We have to get special dental flossing things. And I've decided that we will add brushing his teeth after lunch too.
Bad news: He has a mouth that has an environment for bacteria. We are on a fight to change the environment now. He has 5 cavities. Their choice of treatment is, because he is so little and they can not afford to cause emotional trauma in a little person, he will be referred to a periodonist and most likely be put under and then have all five repaired at the same time. (As apposed to multiple visits and pain and long term mental trauma.) They gave him a flouride treatment and have set up a "new patient" appointment for full x-rays etc while we wait for the referral to the periodonist and to get into get their office for their opinion, and then get in for the actual repairs.

And I'm very grateful that Daddy has stepped in to take Caleb to these appointments. I couldn't do it with Josh in tow most certainly and I couldn't do it in general. I have anxiety about the dentist and I think I would feed that into Caleb. I can't handle it well seeing him in such a distressing situation in a place that I already feel such anxiety. Like I said before, the thought of taking Caleb to the dentist makes ME want a sedative. I can make the appointments, but Daddy will just have to be the one to attend, but it's just not in my power.

And as a prevention, we SHOULD put Joshy on dental and get him familiar with the whole process. But that is just going to make our medical/dental insurance go up from it's shockingly outrageous $620/mo. Mortgage and med/dental ins is over 50% of our take home pay... how's that for debt ratio in this "modern" world! Perhaps even more shocking, I still won't vote for any candidate who wants the government to be in charge of my healthcare. But that's all aside.

As for tomorrow, we have had a heart to heart with Caleb about the Easter Egg Hunt. We are encouraging him to still "hunt" for as many as he possibly can. But we will exchange ALL the candy for something else. Joshy too. And Caleb seems on board with that. I really don't want him to get shy about hunting for eggs (as I was as a kid) or feel deprived of surprise/joy of what's inside. BUT, of course, he can't have the candy either. We think that we've come up with a good solution. And very smartly, Caleb has asked that any candy that is in the house be removed and thus remove the temptation. What a smart kid! If only we adults did that. Please don't get the idea that I buy candy for the kids... he's STILL working on "Harvest" carnival candy from OCTOBER! But, yes, Caleb we will help you out by getting rid of the temptation.


All, in all, I feel ashamed and embarrassed about Caleb's teeth. But a little optimistic with Daddy for help and a plan in place for Caleb (and a plan of prevention for Joshy, Dentist said that if Caleb's mouth fosters bacteria like this, so will little bro).

I look forward to tomorrow of family and fun. And for everyone else, have a happy weekend.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I'm so sorry that your little guy has cavities, and that you have to deal with the worry and expense of it all. Don't be too harsh with yourself about it, though, okay? You are doing your best, taking care of it, and sharing your love and support with your little guy. He'll get through this just fine, with a fine new set of adult teeth. It's great that you're not letting it go farther, and that you and Mike have a plan for dealing with it. Our love to you all. PS We are SO sad we're not on our way to see you right now!!!